Martial Arts training is to be taken seriously. Development of skill in demands dedication and commitment. Your Sifu and members put a lot of time and effort to run the school and teach students within it. A plan of training is set out for each student when they join, it is therefore important absence is kept to a minimum and only when absolutely necessary, your Sifu, Si-Hing’s and Si-Je’s invest time and effort to train you so show them the same dedication and respect. Try to inform of any absences to your Sifu, Si-Hing or Si-Je or leave a message our social media pages or group WhatsApp. We are a non-profit school and absence is not only disruptive to your training but also for the other students and instructors. The school reserves the right to ask anyone to leave due to constant absence.
Kwoon (Training Hall) Rules
To foster a class atmosphere that will help everyone get the most out of their involvement with the school, Sifu asks that the following guidelines be observed:
- Arrive a little early to training. Classes start promptly, it is disruptive to your Sifu and your fellow students to arrive once the class has started. Everyone gets held up from time to time- just don’t make a habit of it.
- Before entering or leaving the class a traditional sign of respect must be shown to ones Sifu (right hand fist, left hand open). There is no need to bow.
- Turn mobile phones off during class or set to silent mode.
- Always respect and obey your Sifu and remembering to always refer to your instructor “Sifu”. Throughout many years of training and teaching he has earned this Honour.
- Listen to Sifu or Si-hing (senior students). Don’t make excuses or be disrespectful when a senior is explaining a technique, stop training and give them your attention to understand what they are trying to teach you.
- Questions are encouraged throughout the lesson however they must be asked in the proper way and if necessary, your Sifu will answer them after the lesson. Raise your hand should you have a question. Your Sifu will reserve a proper time in class to answer questions you may have. Do not disrupt the flow of the class by interrupting the Sifu with too many questions, these will often disrupt the flow of class and ultimately slow your progress.
- If necessary, speak quietly when class is in session and never when your Sifu is speaking. There is time to talk with other students after class. Be polite and friendly but remember that people are there to train.
- The School is run as a Kung Fu Family, any aggression or egos against any member is not acceptable. Concentrate on your own training. While a little friendly competitiveness is OK – the real challenge lies within yourself.
- Refrain from using profanities while in class.
- Make sure you attend classes in appropriate clothing, loose bottoms & plain t-shirt, official t-shirts / uniform must be worn by those students that have them. A dirty wrinkled uniform reflects badly on you as a student. Always wear a clean uniform to class. Take pride in your uniform.
- Do not smoke, eat, chew gum or wear jewellery in class.
- Inappropriate behaviour towards fellow students or possession of drugs or alcohol will not be tolerated and will lead to instant dismissal and membership terminated from the School.
- Never criticise students of other arts, styles or schools.
- No techniques are to be shown or discussed with non-members of the School
- Help keep your place of training clean and tidy.
- Maintain your self-respect and that of the Kung Fu School by conducting yourself with honour to everyone inside and outside of the school.
- Be a positive role model and lead by example (especially to the younger members of the School).
- Enjoy your training.
Our Principles and Pledge
In Martial Arts, the development of mental strength and a positive attitude is important for all students. The ‘Student Pledge ’and The ‘Principles of TKFS’ were established to help serve this purpose and are recited regularly. All students are expected to apply the statements in the Oath and in the Tenets to their lives both in and out of The Kung Fu School class on a daily basis.
The Core Principles of The Kung Fu School
- Humility & Respect – Freedom from pride or arrogance, be humble and have respect for all.
- Integrity & Honour – To be honest, do the RIGHT thing and honour your words and actions.
- Kindness & Self Control – To be gracious, kind helpful and never lose your temper.
- Perseverance & Tenacity – Never stop trying to achieve your goals and learn from your mistakes.
Our Core Training Moto
Excellence through Technique, Speed and Power.
The Adult Pledge
- To set positive goals and strive to achieve them
- To apply self-discipline to further my personal development
- To stand for justice and honour my word
- To promote friendly relationships and respect all people
- To use what I learn in class in a constructive manner
The Children’s Promise
- To always do my best and never give up
- To obey my parents and teachers
- To tell the truth and honour my word
- To always be polite & help others
- To never misuse what I learn in class